Another Louisiana classic and local favorite is stuffed bell peppers. Traditionally, they’re filled with the holy trinity (onion, celery, bell peppers), ground beef, shrimp and ham. I switch it up by omitting the ham, adding lump crab meat, and substituting the ground beef for Italian sausage.
As with many Cajun and Creole dishes, stuffed bell peppers come to life with the inclusion of the “holy trinity” serving as the basis from where all flavor is formed, consisting of onions, bell peppers and celery. These three vegetables are packed with flavorful liquid that breaks down when heated, causing them to release or “sweat” out moisture. These liquids then reduce in the skillet, leaving behind residual sugars that caramelize the mix into the soul of the dish they are about to become. The result is so flavorful, it could only be considered holy.
Cajun Seafood Stuffed Peppers
Decadent, overstuffed peppers with lump crab, shrimp, and Italian sausage! It's a meal in a pepper!
Ingredients1 lb medium shrimp
8 oz lump crab meat
1 1/2 lbs ground Italian sausage
4 bell peppers, halved, seeds removed
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
2/3 cup of chicken broth
1 cup shredded parmesan
Cajun seasoning, to taste
1 tbs liquid crab boil
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add in liquid crab boil.
- Add halved peppers to boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook italian sausage, seasoning to taste as it cooks.
- Once cooked, remove from the skillet and in chopped vegetables.
- Sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add in shrimp. You may need to also add in a little olive oil.
- Sauté and continue to season to taste.
- Stir in chicken broth.
- Continue to stir mixture, seasoning to taste
- Add in cheese and allow to melt.
- Carefully fold in breadcrumbs and remove from heat.
- Place halved peppers onto a greased baking sheet, and overstuff each pepper half with the meat mixture.
- Place on middle rack in oven bake for 15-20 mins