Did you know that when we “barbecue” shrimp in New Orleans, it doesn’t involve any barbecue sauce or an outdoor grill?! Instead, we’re referring to sautéed shrimp in a rich brown butter sauce, spiked with Cajun spices.
The key to making the perfect BBQ shrimp is to be very generous with butter! The key to developing the right depth of flavor and proper sauce consistency, is to cut in a little butter at a time while stirring, to emulsify the sauce.
BBQ Shrimp is so versatile! You can enjoy them on their own while sopping up the sauce with french bread, or pair them with grits for a shrimp and grits brunch!
NOLA BBQ Shrimp
Get into this buttery, creamy, spicy barbecue shrimp, NOLA style! Don't forget the french bread!
- 1 1/2lb jumbo shrimp, shell on
- Juice of two lemons
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3-4 teaspoons Tony Chachere’s BOLD Creole Seasoning
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/14 to 1-1/2 cups (3 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- In a large cast iron skillet combine shrimp, lemon juice, all seasonings, garlic and Worcestershire.
- Cook over medium high heat, tossing and moving shrimp until they turn pink, about 1 minute on each side.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in butter a few cubes at a time, stirring constantly.
- Remove skillet from heat. Place shrimp in a bowl or plate and pour sauce over top.