It’s summertime and while quarantined, we’re still trying to keep our bodies in shape just in case the world opens up. I’m abstaining from fried foods so this bake cod is a great alternative when you want that crispy fried taste!
These cod pieces are breaded in brown rice flour providing a healthy coating that crisps to perfection in the oven! It’s also a great flour substitute for those with a gluten intolerance.
Cod is a healthful type of fish with many dietary benefits. It is high in protein and low in fat, which makes it an excellent protein source. Cod is also high in vitamins and minerals that are essential to bodily functioning.
Once seasoned and coated, sear stovetop for a couple of minutes on each side, then put in the oven to finish cooking with lemon. As you take that first bite, just close your eyes and you’ll forget you ever wanted it fried.
As a great compliment to the cod, consider pairing it with this lemony broccoli rabe and cannellini beans as a side. You can get the recipe from Williams Sonoma.
Crispy Creole Baked Cod
NOLA spice mixed with Greek spice, plus lemon, olive oil and garlic, makes this delicious cod come to life!
- 4-6 Cod fillet pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp melted butter or 1 1/2 tbsp of additional olive oil
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- Cajun or Creole seasoning, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix lemon juice, olive oil, and melted butter or olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl bowl, mix flour, and all seasonings. Set next to the lemon juice mixture.
- Pat fish fillet dry and dip fish in the lemon juice mixture, and then dip in the flour mixture, shaking off excess flour. Reserve the lemon juice mixture for later.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add fish and sear on each side for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To the remaining lemon juice mixture, add the minced garlic and mix. Drizzle on the fish fillets and in the skillet.
- Bake in the heated oven for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle chopped parsley.