Working from home doesn’t mean unlimited free time. You have endless zoom calls, working longer days, balancing household obligations and tending to your children and significant others – it can be a lot!
This recipe is perfect for those who want something not too complicated, but at the same time tasty and satisfying!
Cooking the chicken in the bacon fat provides an added level of flavor that blends well with the freshness of the basil pesto. I like to toss my pasta in the same skillet where the chicken was cooked to soak of all of that goodness!
Pesto Chicken and Bacon Pasta
Simple yet delicious - it's the perfect weekday meal!
- 2 cups penne or fusilli pasta, or any pasta of your choice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite size chunks
- 2 strips of thick cut bacon
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Cajun or Creole seasoning, to taste
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- pinch of salt or to taste
- pinch of black pepper or to taste *to make quicker you can use 3/4 cup of store bought prepared basil pesto
- Cook the pasta according to it’s package directions. Before draining the pasta, reserve 1/4 cup of the leftover liquid.
- While the pasta cooks, wash the basil and remove the stems.
- Place basil, garlic cloves, oil, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper, in a food processor and pulse until you have reached desired consistency.
- Heat skillet and cook bacon until crispy; remove from skillet and let cool. Once cooled, crumble bacon into bite sized pieces.
- Season the chicken with Italian and Cajun seasoning, and place in the same skillet that was for the bacon. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from the heat.
- Lower heat to medium low and place pasta in skillet and toss to coat pasta in the leftover oil in skillet until coated. Add in bacon crumbles and bacon crumbles and mix well.
- Once ready to serve, top with more cheese and enjoy!