Whether it be for brunch accompanied by waffles, or the main dinner attraction with a variety of sides, I can’t get enough buttermilk fried chicken!
Marinating chicken in buttermilk adds extra tenderness and moisture to the chicken, while the hot sauce ensures consistent spice flavor in every bite!
Buttermilk Fried Chicken
It's the classic fried for me!
- 3lbs chicken pieces (I prefer dark meat)
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- Tony Chachere’s MORE SPICE Creole Seasoning
- 4 cups canola oil or peanut oil
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken in a plastic snap or zip bag (no more than 4 in a bag); add hot sauce and buttermilk, mix, seal and place in refrigerator for two hours or overnight.
- Combine the flour, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and Creole seasoning in a bowl and mix with a fork until blended.
- After chicken is done marinating, pour all contents into another bowl.
- Add oil to a cast iron or heavy bottomed skillet and heat on medium high until oil is at 350 degrees.
- In batches, coat chicken in seasoned flour, shake off excess, and place in skillet; fry for 8-10 minutes on each side, or when cooked through.
- Once cooked through, place on cooling rack until ready to serve.